Sunday, June 18, 2006

"It's Official: We're Crazy!"

Day 1: Awesome Adventures Summer Day Camp
After hours of working to prepare for the first day of camp, I was both nervous and anxious. I had to be at the church at 6:30 am to greet approximately 75 kids grades K-6. I awoke at 5:00 am ( I am NOT a morning person) and was at the church by 6:15 am... waiting.
Ay 6:45, our first camper arrived, followed by 65 more in the following hour. My staff was also arriving and ready to jump in.
The day was good, a little bumpy, and my instinct at several moments was to run! It had been years since I had worked with large groups of kids. Though I had majored in Early Childhood Education... I had abandoned that work after my own children began arriving. Here I was, back again.
By 8 am, I had already heard from one staff person that they were not coming in, so I had to double up on my other staff- but I purposely planned on having lower ratios than required by law, so we were okay. By lunch time, my muscles ached and my head was throbbing. I looked at one of my staff persons and said, "We're crazy!" She nodded enthusiastically. It was official.
My goal at this point was to expect chaos- but by all means- it would be CONTROLLED chaos!
By 6 pm, I was beat. I felt as if I had been hit by a truck and seriously didn't know if I'd make it through ten weeks! Only by His grace!

No comments: