Thursday, April 10, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!!!

Today is my 36th birthday. I’m officially closer to forty than thirty and I am okay with that. The day has been good, very good. Even coming into work this morning was extra special. My desk was decorated with streamers, balloons, confetti, cards and a couple of gifts. My email inbox was full of e-cards and birthday wishes from family and friends all over the US. My department catered in lunch and surprised me with a huge birthday cake that Craig and the girls will get to enjoy later as well. It was very sweet and touched my heart.

Craig has plans for celebrating tomorrow night and I am excited about spending the time with my family. The girls have International Night tonight at school so we’ll be attending that together. I’ll be sure to get some pictures.

As you know, on the Sloan front we have all been overcoming some nasty illnesses. Gratefully I am at the tail end of a terrible cough and cold and the rest of the strep unpleasantries have diminished. I can’t stand being sick and this one really kicked me in the rear! I was landing in bed between 7:30 and 9 pm every night… very unlike me.

Before bed last night I watched the Primetime Special on ABC about Randy Pausch. Randy’s story inspired me and I am reflecting on many things he said in his now infamous “The Last Lecture.” Quite a timely process on one’s birthday I think.

In closing, here is one of my favorite quotes from Randy’s “Last Lecture….”

“So my next piece of advice is, you just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore. I think I’m clear where I stand on the great Tigger/Eeyore debate. [laughter] Never lose the childlike wonder. It’s just too important. It’s what drives us.” (Randy Pausch)

Too many people waste a lot of time wallowing like Eeyore… I’ve decided to spend the rest of my life trying my dadgumdest (yea.. I made up that word) to be a “Tigger”.. sucking in life, helping others, seeing the glass always as half full… that was one of the promises I made myself today when I blew out my birthday candles!

Love & Blessings!

2 comments:

Dr. Deanna DossShrodes said...

Happy Birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday dear Tara...........
Happy birthday to you!

I love you!

Unknown said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you had a great birthday. Kerry